What a strange week when it comes to the top ten, none of the new releases could topple the Man of Steel,despite it having a drop off of around 55%.
Three new films entered this week’s chart, first off’ going in at number eight’ was romantic drama Before Midnight; the third in the before series after Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. Going in much lower than expected was Snitch starring Dwayne Johnson, despite the film opening in 305 screens the movie failed to even get pass the £300,000 mark. The highest new entry of the week went to zombie apocalypse movie World War Z which went straight in at number two.
A couple of other things about this week’s chart: firstly A Haunted House failed to make it into the chart despite it opening in more than 220 screens, the other strange thing about this week’s chart is that it’s the first time in a while that no film from the number three position down to the number ten slot made more than £500,000 this weekend.
New Releases - A very interesting mix of films out this week catering to a lot of people’s needs. The biggest film of the week is animated sequel Despicable Me 2 which is set to take in more than £8 million with it having a fantastic preview weekend. Other movies on offer is star-studded comedy This is the End, a thriller movie starring Jason Statham called Hummingbird and the comedy Stand Up Guys starring Al Pacino.
10. The Great Gatsby – £158,927 – £15,198,622
9. Fast and Furious 6 – £160,851 – £24,877,587
8. Before Midnight – (NE) – £244,231
7. Epic – £251,038 – £12,652,346
6. Snitch – (NE) – £268,229
5. The Hangover Part 3 – £316,888 – £18,777,251
4. Behind the Candelabra – £367,888 – £2,444,433
3. After Earth – £422,881 – £5,711,932
2. World War Z – (NE) – £4,535,899
1. Man of Steel -£5,073,356 – £21,332,301