Well the bottom end of the chart has had a nice shake up, it’s a shame that cannot be said about the top end too as last week’s number one, The Hangover Part III, managed to hang on to the number one spot for a second week.
Four new films entered the bottom end of the chart this week. Going in at a low number ten was the brilliant non-vampire vampire film Byzantium, going in at one spot higher at number nine was bollywood film Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani. Hitting the number seven spot was star-studded comedy The Big Wedding. This week’s highest new entry went to thriller The Purge which managed to go in at number six, if the film was released at another time of the year it would have been in the top five as it took just over the £1 million mark.
New Releases – It’s time for another one of the big summer blockbusters to head up the new films out in the cinema on Friday as Will Smith teams up with his son Jaden in After Earth. As usual you have the smaller films released alongside the big film, one offer is the comedy starring Michael Douglas: Behind The Candelabra, also there’s supernatural horror The Last Exorcism 2 and Michael Shannon stars in thriller The Iceman.
10. Byzantium – (NE) – £114,339
9. Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani – (NE) – £408,491
8. Iron Man 3 – £429,102 – £36,358,709
7. The Big Wedding – (NE) – £595,956
6. The Purge – (NE) – £1,019,877
5. The Great Gatsby – £1,302,008 – £12,056,175
4. Star Trek Into Darkness – £1,315,069 – £23,036,411
3. Epic – £1,988,507 – £10,129,040
2. Fast and Furious 6 – £2,054,372 – £21,506,188
1. The Hangover Part III – £2,917,887 – £13,532,954