Disney+ to air scarier Director’s Cut of The X-Files: I Want To Believe

May 24th, 2026 by Marc Comments

About a year ago X-Files creator Chris Carter revealed that he was working on a director’s cut of the disappointing 2008 theatrical outing, The X-Files: I Want To Believe, and now it seems it’s headed to Disney+ pretty soon.

On the podcast Fail Better With David Duchovny last year, Carter said he was very excited about the release explaining: “I made it too scary, basically, and I was told so by the brass at Fox, and they wanted a PG-13 movie. So we cut it back to be a PG-13 movie, and we thought, ‘Okay, we’ve satisfied their demands.’”

The cut, however, wasn’t enough to get the job done, with Carter adding: “The critics, the people who rate the movies, said ‘No, it’s not a PG-13 yet, you’ve got to cut it back even farther.’ I can tell you that you can do more on network television… [the censors are] more permissive than they are for the movies.”


Sinners heads to Halloween Horror Nights


However, speaking of the new cut, which hits Disney+ on Thursday, June 11th, Carter’s excitement is evident: “Now I have a chance to go back and make the scary movie that I always intended to make. It’s not just doing a Director’s Cut to do a Director’s Cut. It’s really kind of bringing to life something that for me was on the page and never got to the screen.“

I saw the movie back in 2008 when it was released and remember feeling pretty disappointed in it as it played out like a 90s thriller/murder movie, but I am pretty excited to watch Carter’s vision for the movie, although it’ll be a while before I get to it as I have just started my rewatch of the full series as there was quite a bit of the original series I missed due to watching it back in the times when, if you missed it on live TV, you missed it for good, well, years.


Anderson and Duchovny discuss Coogler’s X-Files reboot as new leads step up


With everyone discussing Ryan Coogler’s upcoming X-Files reboot, this seems like a good time to bring Mulder and Scully back into the zeitgeist.

So, a director’s cut of I Want To Believe. Thoughts? I know you have them and I wanna hear ’em all.

Read Disney+’s press release

Watch the original trailer:


WATCH: First teaser trailer for DCU’s Clayface melts onto your screen


Source: Screenrant

Marc is a self-confessed nerd. Ever since seeing Star Wars for the first time around 1979 he’s been an unapologetic fan of the Wars and still believes, with Clone Wars and now Underworld, we are yet to see the best Star Wars. He’s a dad of two who now doesn’t have the time (or money) to collect the amount of toys, comics, movies and books he once did, much to the relief of his long-suffering wife. In the real world he’s a graphic designer. He started Following the Nerd because he was tired of searching a million sites every day for all the best news that he loves and decided to create one place where you can go to get the whole lot. Secretly he longs to be sitting in the cockpit of his YT-1300 Corellian Transport ship with his co-pilot Chewie, roaming the universe, waiting for his next big adventure, but feels just at home watching cartoons with his kids….