Could Marvel and Sony have a writer and director in the wings for the new Spider-man movie? The rumour mill is saying yes…
The chaps at Latino-Review have a source close to the project – called Senor Felix, make of that what you will – who has some very interesting tidbits about the Spider-man movie that will bring him into the MCU.
They are reporting that:
- The movie will be produced by Marvel and Kevin Feige at Sony.
- It is seen as being a trilogy of movies released over three consecutive summers.
- Like the Amazing Spider-man movies, it will draw from the comics and is touted as being called Spectacular Spider-man.
- Feige came on board after Ike Perlmutter, Feige’s boss at Marvel, insisted Sony dump Avi Arad from the Spidey movies. Sony had no issue with this and Arad has moved on to the Ghost In The Shell series instead.
- This is the official end of all current Spider-man movies. Apparently the Aunt May movie was real and is now gone, as is the standalone Sinister Six movie, instead the Sinister Six will now be set-up in the new movies and Spider-man will face some of them from the get go with the six possibly gathered by the end of the first movie.
- However, the writer and director of the proposed Sinister Six, Drew Goddard, is back for the first Spectacular Spider-man movie. This is good news, indeed.
- There will be no origin story. Spider-man will exist already.
- He will PROBABLY be played by an unknown.
- It will start with him in High School. They see this as a franchise that can last for many years and want an actor that will grow into the role over many trilogies – Harry Potter is apparently the benchmark.
- The first movie will see Spidey fighting Iron Man and trying to get into the Avengers.
So, that’s the skinny so far. Take from it what you will, but given that we know Goddard was still involved even after the meeting of Sony and Marvel minds, some of this makes sense.
Could this tie in to the big news Robert Downey Jnr teased last week (here)? Well, we’ll all know soon enough…