Paul Bettany is well known to Avengers fans as the voice of J.A.R.V.I.S, Tony Stark’s AI helper. But he is also now a fully-realised Avenger as the Vision – although his appearance is being kept very secretive so far.
Slashfilm got to sit with the actor at a Roundtable and the subject of The Vision came up and Bettany was cagey, but some details were eventually disclosed:
– He said that having voiced J.A.R.V.I.S in the Iron Man movies and Avengers he isn’t allowed to play another character, “though I can’t say what the relationship is between Vision and J.A.R.V.I.S.. Everything is a double-edged sword”
– He wouldn’t say if J.A.R.V.I.S has a different voice than Vision specifically but he did say: “those things are hard to analyze and there are absolute differences clearly.”
– Vision feels paternal to a number of people (probably including Tony Stark).
– Does he have fight scenes? “I’m really good at punching,” he says, “Vision is good at punching.”
– He’s protective of Scarlet Witch.
– “He is someone who is learning about the world at an exponential rate. He becomes more sassy as the movie continues,” he says of the character.
– The Avengers, it seems, don’t trust him – is this because he’s connected to Ultron, perhaps: “there’s a lot of distrust, and that has to be navigated by the Vision. He does it in a quite extraordinarily shocking way. It’s a real roof raiser of a moment.”
– Three is a “fabulous” cape but he won’t reveal the colour. His costume is ‘real': “It’s just a really beautiful piece of design and then manufacturing this thing out of a lot of materials that haven’t existed for a long time. It’s really cool looking. The consequence is it’s f#@king hot!”
– The Vision, he says, ” has the ability to change his density and that is … that’s awesome and exploited brilliantly by Joss in some cool moments when Vision is able to do something that is otherworldly. And he’s discovering it all as he goes along.”
– Oh and he flies too…
Does this sound like the Vision you’ve been waiting to see onscreen? Let us knw below, @NerdFollowing and/or on Facebook