nerd radio

Tune in live Thursday from 9pm est

RUMOUR: Obi-Wan and Rian Johnson’s trilogy pulled by Disney for foreseeable future?

August 28th, 2018 by Marc Comments

There’s no denying that Star Wars and its fandom is in a massive state of flux at the minute.

After the reactions for Star Wars: The Last Jedi ranched from ‘masterpiece’ to ‘utter disaster’ and then Solo: A Star Wars Story failed to really make money, it seems that Disney are stepping back to survey their kingdom a little closer.

First up, it seems the Obi-Wan Kenobi movie – you know, the one all the fans have been crying out for? – is under a potential executioner’s axe as it seems that yes, it was in pre-production but now disney have put a halt on it.

Now production designer Neil Lamont, has sais that they had started work on Tatooine (so we’re pretty confident it was Obi-Wan as that’s where he lived during the third and fourth instalments of the Star Wars Saga) but the plug was pulled: “We were just starting our work on another Star Wars spin-off and yeah. We were actually just making our mark on Tatooine – which would have been interesting and some other new galaxies. So hopefully, if that comes back, we’ll get the chance to be able to do that further.”

Along with Tatooine, it seems they were working on ‘some other new galaxies’, so could there be more than the Obi-Wan movie culled for now?

Lamont is no stranger to Star Wars, having first started as an assistant on Star Wars: Return of the Jedi and recently as production designer on both Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and Solo: A Star Wars Story.

Which brings us to what the other galaxies Lamont referred to as a new rumour states that, after the reactions to The Last Jedi, it seems Disney may have pulled the plug on director Ryan Johnson’s planned trilogy set in another part of the Star Wars universe.

Remember when Johnson was asked late last year what his new trilogy was about? If you don’t, he gave this baffling answer:

“We were cleaning out our lockers [after The Last Jedi].  And all getting kind of sad.  And saying, how do we keep working together?  And that I threw out, I said, the most interesting thing to me would be a new trilogy, one story told over three movies.  Go new places, meet new folks, come up with a new story to tell in the Star Wars universe.  The sky’s the limit.  That sounds thrilling.  And they really responded to that.  So we’re off, yeah.”

When asked if they really gave a new trilogy – not just one movie! –  the go ahead without a story idea, he replied: “Yeah, that was it.  That was the pitch.”

So… Kathleen Kennedy and Disney gave Rian Johnson, whose The Last Jedi hadn’t even hit cinemas yet, the greenlight for three Star Wars movies based on… nothing?

If this is true, it wouldn’t be a shock if it was in trouble now.

Anyway… lt us know your thoughts.

 

Source: CinemaBlend & Express

Let us know your thoughts below, @NerdFollowing on Twitter or on Facebook

Marc is a self-confessed nerd. Ever since seeing Star Wars for the first time around 1979 he’s been an unapologetic fan of the Wars and still believes, with Clone Wars and now Underworld, we are yet to see the best Star Wars. He’s a dad of two who now doesn’t have the time (or money) to collect the amount of toys, comics, movies and books he once did, much to the relief of his long-suffering wife. In the real world he’s a graphic designer. He started Following the Nerd because he was tired of searching a million sites every day for all the best news that he loves and decided to create one place where you can go to get the whole lot. Secretly he longs to be sitting in the cockpit of his YT-1300 Corellian Transport ship with his co-pilot Chewie, roaming the universe, waiting for his next big adventure, but feels just at home watching cartoons with his kids….