Now that Star Wars: The Force Awakens is ripping apart all sorts of cinema records, we can relax and get set for the next big cinematic adventure.
Now, not that we’re not excited for Civil War and all the other big movies coming next year, but for us here at FTN HQ it has to be the clash of Batman V Superman that has us the most giddy. And we’re just drinking up any details we can find. And we have quite a few today… so, without further ado, lets’s get into it.
OH, AND POTENTIALLY MASSIVE SPOILERS IN HERE, FOLKS… YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
Aside from Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, what other Justice League characters can we expect to pop up?
Firstly, who all can we expect to see in the movie? Well, as has been believed for a while, it seems: “Jason Mamoa’s Aquaman has been publicly announced and turned into an action figure already, so his appearance is the least surprising. Lex Luthor ends up bringing him into the proceedings, Ray Fisher’s Vic Stone (Cyborg) will appear in the movie in a cameo, The Flash comes up for a brief moment (he’s just a blur), but it’s such a brief aside, you do see the actor in another scene not in costume. No Green Lantern.”
Nothing new here, in fact it’s all stuff we’ve reported in the past, but when a rumour persists, we tend to think there’s something to it.
Will the movie lead into the next one(s) ala Marvel’s post credit scenes?
No, apparently not. But sort of. If this is true, we love the idea and thing it’s really very, very smart: “The closing credits on Batman v Superman will consist of a montage sequence reminiscent of what Zack Snyder did with the opening credits on Watchmen (continues after video)
We love this idea and think it could work very well in the movie. If we get anything close to the Watchmen credits only with The Justice League, this could be a real delight… although we wonder how much will need to be filmed for it to work. Only time will tell if there’s anything to this though. There’s more details on this below…
Other cool details?
– “Luthor uses Project Black Zero to create a “Black Zero” Superman (Bizzaro’s N52 name and Zod’s ship was called Black Zero in Man of Steel so we see the connection) that triggers something called the “Doomsday protocol” in Zod.” It’s possible he also uses this as a way to heal people who have been badly hurt.
– “There’s a creepy rubber Henry Cavill face they laser onto Zod.” Could this be Bizarro? Sounds weird…
– “Doomsday is something that lies within each Kryptonian (Except Superman, because he had a natural birth) to prevent cloning and revival.” We’re guuessing it is awakened by Luthor who wants to create a nemesis for Superman.
– “Dick (Grayson) and Jason Todd are named dropped and Jenna Malone is Carrie Kelley seen for a small scene being attacked by the guy you see branded in the trailer after batman stops it.” Ok, we are assuming Jason will have been killed by the Joker in this movie because of the scene in the second trailer (pic below). And we would love to see Dick Grayon mentioned because, given the events in the comics, it would surely indicate that Nightwing is out there in the DC Movie Universe, ripe for a future appearance. And as for the Carrie Kelley appearance? Well, we like the idea of her being out there, but there’s a conflicting report that she is actually Barbara Gordon (the future Batgirl); this makes more sense to us, but either character would be fun to see. (Continues after pic)
– “Alfred may say at some stage to Bruce: “This type of brutish attitude is precisely why master Dick left you and why master Jason…” before being cut off by Bruce.” This ties in with what we know already and certainly leaves room for further exploration in future movies.
– “Aquaman shows up twice. The Metal Men don’t appear but they’re alluded to.” Well, we pretty much know Aquaman will appear and we LOVE the idea of The Metal Men being mentioned. Who are they? Well, according to the DC Wiki, they were: “Created by scientist Dr. William “Will” Magnus, the six robots were field leader Gold, strong man Iron, slow-witted and loyal Lead, hot-headed Mercury, self-doubting and insecure Tin, and Platinum (also called “Tina”), who believed she was a real woman and was in love with her creator. The group’s personalities mirrored their namesake metals, being dictated by devices called “responsometers”. Each Metal Man also possessed abilities that reflected the traits of their namesake metal: Gold could stretch his form almost infinitely, Iron was super strong. Lead could block harmful radiation by morphing into thick shields, Mercury could melt and pass through small spaces before reforming, while Platinum and Tin could stretch, flatten or spin into fine filaments.”
And they look like this: (Continues after pic)
– More details on the credits: “The credits apparently want everyone to sit around and watch because it’s the Justice League (Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman) doing Justice League stuff, with a second appearance by Aquaman helping Wonder Woman with a flood, Batman working with Cyborg, and Superman and Flash sprinting through a city.” This certainly ties in to the earlier reports above.
– ” You don’t see Joker but he’s referenced.” That works for us, given that Suicide Squad lands in August next year and Mr J is a big player in it.
– “Wonder Woman talks about the New Gods.” According to the DC Wiki: “The New Gods are natives of the twin planets of New Genesis and Apokolips. New Genesis is an idyllic planet filled with unspoiled forests, mountains, and rivers and is ruled by the benevolent Highfather, while Apokolips is a nightmarish, ruined dystopia filled with machinery and fire pits and is ruled by the tyrant Darkseid. The two planets were once part of the same world, a planet called Urgrund (German for “primeval ground”), but it was split apart millennia ago after the death of the Old Gods during Ragnarök.”
– “Doomsday is stopped when forced into the Phantom Zone, opened by Batman and Superman after a distraction from Wonder Woman.” This makes sense as it means we could see him return in future movies and it seems it won’t be The Death of Superman storyline.
– “Description of the Flash suit seen in the credits scenes, It’s kinda like a combination between a SWAT Team uniform and a diver’s suit. The helmet is a rubbery plastic with metal wing ears like Jay Garrick’s. He doesn’t wear lenses. There are different textures on the suit, but it all seems kinda rubbery or duct tape type material. It’s thick. It’s brighter red in the center and darker red on the legs and the seems. He has faded yellow boots and gloves. There is no lighting around around him or trailing.” We like the sound of this as it sounds very different from flash in the TV Universe, while still (hopefully) true to the comic character.
– “The Batman vs Superman fight isn’t long and it ends with Batman “winning”, followed by him having a heart attack, presumably from being in a two ton suit and being thrown through streets and being in range of a kryptonian bomb that goes off in the fight. Superman flys him to the Batcave.” We’re not sure about this, but can certainly see Frank Miller’s fingerprints on it.
– “Doomsday does evolve to look more like the comic version (see below), Wonder Woman chops off his arm and it grows back to look like the comic book one with the cool spike, and he starts to grow spikes out of his head when Superman is rushing his face against the pavement.” Truthfully, we like the Doomsday in the trailer (also below) because the more we look at him, the more we realise he DOES look a lot like Doomsday proper… but it would be nice to see him become the terrifying monster that killed Superman in the comics!
– “Scoot McNairy is William Magnus, who has a direct influence on the creation of Cyborg, but leaves when he finds out Luthor’s a total douche.” No doubt this will be when we also meet Vic Stone, setting up future appearances.
– “The Doomsday fight also takes place six months after Bruce’s heart attack.” Implying that Lex continued to try to stop Superman after Batman disappeared?
– “Wayne enterprises owns the World Engine, that could become the watch tower. No Fortress of Solitude mentioned. No Hall of Justice mentioned.” Oh, we love this idea… the Watchtower! The Watchtower is basically a space station that the Justice League use as a base of operations and as a point to monitor trouble on earth. And this is a clever way to create it. (Continues after pic)
– “Lex gets cancer after working with so much alien tech. He never wears a wig, and eventually shaves it.” Well, that explains that, then.
– “Aquaman tells Wonder Woman he thinks the World Engine is from the New Gods and Wonder Woman scouts out Clark and Bruce as Diana, then shows up talking about how “New Gods” yet unheard of have powers of mind and threats we can’t imagine, etc. It’s not super delved into but it’s the main reason they let her into the club and decide to keep in contact.” This explains why Diana is in Gotham and it’s also great that her and Aquaman seem to know each other already, as this expands the mythology in a smart, unobtrusive way.
– “The Batman nightmare is a recurring one like that episode of Twilight Zone. The first one ends after the Parademons start picking up soldiers and a defeated Batman, the second one ends after Superman rips off Batman’s mask and his eyes glow red.” We still wonder if the nightmares are being controlled by someone or if Batman knows about the Parademons etc already.
– The movie is currently sitting at three hours with a two and a half hour cinema cut planned. However, it seems the FX will be completed for the whole movie so expect an extended cut at some stage.
– Wonder Woman will have an accent, Cyborg will be Luthor’s ‘poster boy’ for how Black Zero can work. And Luthor will use Krytonian tech and software, which may hint at Brainiac appearing at some stage in future movies.
So, what do you all think? If even half of this turns out to be true we should have a fun, universe-building, fan-pleasing movie. We’ll all know in three months and the anticipation is killing us!
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice hits theatres on March 25, 2016.