Well, The Croods has finally had its day in the sun as it wasn’t able to hold on to the top spot for another week, instead one of this week’s new entries has taken its place.
Three new films entered this week’s chart. First off, going in a much higher than expected number four, was drama The Place Beyond the Pines, this will come as a big surprise to the distributors as the film was only released in a limited number of screens. Into the top three and we find comedy parody film Scary Movie 5, it’s not all good news though for the film as it has taken less than the fourth entry in the series in it’s opening weekend. This week’s highest new entry and the new number one, went to sci-fi film Oblivion, the film managed this feat by being released two days earlier than its rivals, netting itself a nice extra £1.7 million.
10. The Host – £239,291 – £3,227,965
9. Dark Skies – £308,456 – £1,872,838
8. Trance – £339,480 – £4,103,341
7. OZ the Great and Powerful – £391,733 – £14,668,721
6. Jack the Giant Slayer – £451,509 – £7,081,962
5. GI Joe Retaliation – £525,234 – £6,909,942
4. The Place Beyond the Pines – (NE) – £671,119
3. Scary Movie 5 – (NE) – £1,085,932
2. The Croods – £1,999,475 – £22,736,517
1. Oblivion – (NE) – £4,959,386
New Releases: This week sees the release of a couple of big films that should do well at the box office and a couple of smaller films too. First off, the big two, if action is what you are after then the film of choice for you is Olympus Has Fallen, your other big choice of the week is horror remake/re-imagining/reboot Evil Dead. If you want a smaller film then you have the drama Promised Land starring Matt Damon and then also Australian horror film Bait 3D.