Well Gravity couldn’t hold on to the top spot this week as it had huge competition from not only a few new films but also from a couple of special events.
Four new entries in this week’s top ten, two of them films and two of them special events. Firstly, going in at number nine was Andre Rieu: Home for Christmas 2013, this is the first time that Rieu has managed to enter the chart and it’s extra special as it’s rare to see a classical music concert in the top ten.
The first new film to enter this week’s chart went to the Robert De Niro gangster comedy the Family which went in at number eight. Into the top three and the Doctor has made his first ever appearance with his 50th anniversary episode The Day of the Doctor which was shown on 440 screens and nearly made £2 million.
This week’s highest new entry though went to The Hunger Games: Catching Fire which stormed it’s way into the number one slot by taking more than £12 million, making it the third highest grossing début film of the year.
New Releases - You have a couple of films to choose from this week, however nothing that should make a huge challenge on next week’s chart, so if you’re after something new then you have horror remake Carrie, animated comedy Free Birds and the life of Mary Poppins with Saving Mr Banks.
10. Turbo – £254,821 – £11,217,779
9. Andre Rieu: Home For Christmas 2013 – (NE) – £290,173
8. The Family – (NE) – £444,659
7. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 – £474,178 – £11,547,869
6. Philomena – £541,068 – £8,868,711
5. The Butler – £613,877 – £2,032,072
4. Thor: The Dark World – £722,811 – £18,456,032
3. Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor – (NE) – £1,798,629
2. Gravity – £2,389,193 – £19,444,886
1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire – (NE) – £12,189,733