Fifty Shades of Grey’s reign at the top of the chart has finally come to a end thanks to it being whipped into shape by those lovable old age pensioners of the Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.
The second outing for the resident of the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel went straight into the number one spot, taking in just under £4 million, that’s nearly twice the amount the original film took in its opening weekend.
Other new entries in this week’s chart included creepy horror thriller It Follows going in at number eight, by the book thriller The Boy Next Door hitting the number seven spot and witty thriller Focus starring Will Smith and Margot Robbie going straight in at number three.
Upcoming – A bit of a interesting mixture of films this week which includes Neil Blomkamp’s Chappie, comedy Unfinished Business, thriller Kill the Messenger, violent London gangland flick Hyena and drama White Bird in a Blizzard.
10. The Theory of Everything, £333,039 from 329 sites. Total: £20,621,855
9. The Wedding Ringer, £368,213 from 361 sites. Total: £1,797,696
8. It Follows, £371,142 from 190 sites (new)
7. The Boy Next Door, £406,174 from 337 sites (new)
6. Kingsman: The Secret Service, £667,464 from 371 sites. Total: £14,553,017
5. Shaun the Sheep the Movie, £1,008,452 from 555 sites. Total: £11,648,735
4. Big Hero 6, £1,219,171 from 544 sites. Total: £17,669,306
3. Focus, £1,910,245 from 457 sites (new)
2. Fifty Shades of Grey, £2,248,492 from 545 sites. Total: £30,314,012
1. The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, £3,771,852, 589 sites (new)
US Top 5
Over in the US and Fifty Shades of Grey found its grip at the top of the chart finally come loose with it now being down at number four, thanks to this week’s highest new entry, Focus.
The only other new film in this week’s top five went to horror The Lazarus Effect which went in at number five
5. The Lazarus Effect – (NE)
4. Fifty Shades of Grey
3. The Spongebob Movie: Sponge out of Water
2. Kingsman: The Secret Service
1. Focus – (NE)