nerd radio

Tune in live Thursday from 9pm est

UPDATED: Kenobi series IS postponed after all…

January 24th, 2020 by Marc Comments


We heard rumours last week that the Obi-Wan Kenobi series on Disney+ may be delayed or even cancelled, but we sat on it because it seemed to have come from a parody site and had gotten some traction with reputable sites.

It was, it seemed, all nonsense. Although, the more we heard about it, the more it seemed there may just be something to it… and now it seems that there is indeed truth to it.

It seems that the problem – as has become all too familiar with Disney’s handling of Star Wars – was that the writers of Kenobi and the writers of The Mandalorian were unaware of what each other were doing.

The story of Kenobi was meant to have Obi-Wan living on Tatooine and looking after Luke and Lie (from afar) while having adventures in the line of duty… but it seems that the heads at Lucasfilm/Disney were unhappy with this as it is too close to the plot of The Mandalorian which sees the titular character protecting a child against the harsh elements of the galaxy and those within it.

Now the scripts are being rewritten to bring us something new.

On top of this, the new report states that two of the six scripts were finished and now it’s looking likely to only be four episodes. Which means that, if the episodes are the same running time as the Mandalorian, it’ll come in altogether at a little over two hours.

Doesn’t really seem as exciting as it once did… four half hour episodes is barely fit to be called a series.

So as it is, the series, set to star Ewan McGregor and director Deborah Chow, is not dead in the water, but it is on indefinite hold with all the crew sent home and not told when they will return.

This is a bad blow for Disney, Star Wars and Disney+ because, in the recent years, if there was one thing the fans all agreed on, it was that they wanted to see Kenobi back. And, given all we know about the character, how can it be a surprise that the Jedi’s story would see him guarding the new hope of the galaxy? This was Kenobi’s mission… a mission he was still on when he appeared in Rebels!

Come on Disney, get your act together because so far the performance has been troubling.

UPDATE:

According to Variety McGregor told them at the Birds of Prey premiere: “I think we start shooting early next year as opposed to summer this year. 

“I think the scripts are great. They’re in really good shape. They want them to be better. I think we keep our same airdate. All good.”

They say that the show was originally set to film this summer but is now pushed back until January 2021.

Here’s McGregor talking about it:

Let us know your thoughts below, @NerdFollowing on Twitter or on Facebook

Marc is a self-confessed nerd. Ever since seeing Star Wars for the first time around 1979 he’s been an unapologetic fan of the Wars and still believes, with Clone Wars and now Underworld, we are yet to see the best Star Wars. He’s a dad of two who now doesn’t have the time (or money) to collect the amount of toys, comics, movies and books he once did, much to the relief of his long-suffering wife. In the real world he’s a graphic designer. He started Following the Nerd because he was tired of searching a million sites every day for all the best news that he loves and decided to create one place where you can go to get the whole lot. Secretly he longs to be sitting in the cockpit of his YT-1300 Corellian Transport ship with his co-pilot Chewie, roaming the universe, waiting for his next big adventure, but feels just at home watching cartoons with his kids….