Oh, dear, but things didn’t end well for Castle.
Just last month it was reported that star Stana Katic, Beckett in the show, was written out after her one year extended contract had come to and end – although Castle himself, Nathan Fillion’s contract was also up.
The current season 8 was set to end on a cliffhanger that would leave the show’s entire future in doubt… and now the show has been cancelled for real, meaning it’s likely that the fans are going to be left wondering what the outcome would have been.
According to TVLine, “co-showrunner Alexi Hawley said that with both Katic’s and Nathan Fillion’s contracts up, the Season 8 finale airing May 16 ends “in a very dynamic way which leaves open the possibility that maybe the show won’t come back in the same form.” In that season ender, titled “Crossfire,” a twist in Rick and Kate’s final pursuit of the high-powered drug lord known as LokSat “puts their case — and their lives —in jeopardy,””
It looks like Castle will be one in the long list of shows that will end with unanswered questions… never a good thing for the fans.
Castle has a big following and a lot of fans and, while myself only dipped in and out of the series, I know TV without Fillion and Katic just doesn’t feel right.
Thanks to the readers who pointed out that there would be alternate endings filmed for Castle (hey, even we miss some stuff). We can confirm that this does indeed seem to be the case.
TVLine reports that a second ending was filmed in the event of cancellation. Co-showrunner Alexi Hawley, said: “We have crafted a final scene that would exist only if we weren’t coming back.
Castle‘s a different show, so it felt like to be fair to the fans, if we thought there was even a small chance we wouldn’t come back, we owed it to them to craft something.”
So here’s hoping to a good send-off to Castle and Beckett…