With Smash Bros 3DS already out, and Smash Bros Wii U coming out November 21st, many have wondered whether both games are worth buying. Nintendo did a Direct today to show just what’s so different about the Wii U version. And boy did they drop the bombshells!
Oh, and they had an epic over-the-top announcer doing the whole thing. It was great.
Let’s start with the smaller announcements shall we?
- The starting roster for the Wii U version will be bigger right off the bat. There will still be characters to unlock, just a few fewer.
- Remember the Codec that Snake had in Brawl? Well, now we’re going to hear Palutena and the Star Fox crew chat about the characters in the game! If you select Pit you’ll be able to trigger conversations about who you’re battling. And there are some special guests that’ll be in there sometimes…
- As predicted, Smash Bros Wii U will have more stages than the 3DS version. But that doesn’t mean the ones that transfer over will be the same. Each stage will have a different structure to change things up!
- Did you like the music in the 3DS version? Good! Cause the Wii U version has a LOT of new music for you to enjoy.
- A new throwback feature for the game is one called “Masterpieces”. Where you’ll be able to go to the origins of certain characters and play the games that started them off. Be quick though! There’s a time limit!
- The Wii U Gamepad is getting a couple cool features for the Wii U version. The most fun is no doubt the Paint feature. Where you can take a picture in game then color on it to share with friends!
I want to stop here to reveal that Ridley IS in Smash Bros…but as a boss level character in the Pyrosphere level. Sorry fans! BUT, you can have Ridley fight for you in the game if you damage him enough. So at least that’s something…right?
On to some bigger announcements. If the 3DS version was all about mobility and being able to play anywhere, anytime. The Wii U version is really about bringing Smash fans together in new and exciting ways.
- There are a TON of co-op modes in Smash Bros Wii U. Classic Mode and All-Star mode have been altered to do this. Classic Mode in particular has been completely overhauled…AGAIN!!!!…to give you a new challenge on your way to completion. But then there’s Event Mode Co-Op. Target Blast, Home Run Contest, everything has been built to play with or against friends.
- A new mode that was introduced was “Special Orders”. In it, you face the challenges of Master or Crazy Hand, and the more you do, the more stuff you collect. Just be careful…cause the more try to gain, the more you risk losing.
- And then there’s the Amiibo’s. Everyone has been wondering what the Amiibo’s role in Smash Bros is. Well today it was truly revealed. The character statues you collect can be put into the game to be built up into powerful fighters. You won’t control them, but you will be able to make them better. Fight with them, fight against them, pit them against your friends, every single battle makes them better. But also, the more you let the fight, the more rewards and goodies they’ll give you in return. Build up the ultimate tag team partner, then sick on your rivals!
Before we get to the BIG announcements, I think it’s only fair I pause and show off the reveal trailer for one of the two new characters in Smash who HASN’T gotten a trailer…
YEP! Bowser Jr.! True, we knew he was in the game, but why shouldn’t he get his own trailer. Now we just have to wait for Duck Hunt Dog…
Ok, and now, the moment you’ve been waiting for, the BIG reveals from the Direct
- Stage Builder is back! And it’s better than ever! Forget blocking placement of ramps, barriers, and cubes, you can now literally draw your stage on the Wii U Gamepad and make whatever you want! If the video was any indication, this is going to be SO MUCH FUN!!!!
- Smash Run was the exclusive mode for 3DS, but for the Wii U, we have Smash Tour! A board game type set up that has your Mii’s trying to collect fighters, power-ups, and more. All the while trying to mess with your opponents. If two players meet up, a battle ensues. And just like in Smash Run, there’ll be a winner-take-all battle at the end!
- Ok, arguably the biggest reveal was that Smash Bros Wii U will feature…8 PLAYER MATCHES!!! That’s right! Up to 8 players can go at it in a single match! It’s SO BIG that Nintendo literally made 4 of the stages bigger to accommodate the increased number of fighters. Other stages have been altered as well.
- But truly…the biggest…most jaw-dropping reveal from the Direct….
MEWTWO IS GOING TO BE IN THE GAME!!!
Yep, you almost couldn’t believe it. But in Spring 2015 (yes, it’s a wait) Mewtwo will be able for download. HOWEVER!!! You must own both the Wii U and 3DS versions to unlock him. Oh, and did I mention he’s free?
And there you go! To be fair, there were a LOT of announcements, many that I just didn’t cover. Go and check out the full video via the link at the top of the page. Then let US know what you think about all the epic Smash Bros announcements!
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U comes out on November 21st!