With many people – including ourselves – reporting last week (here) that there was problems with the finale of the Mission: Impossible 5 script, it looks like writer/director Christopher McQuarriehas decided to put minds at ease over the progress of the movie via Twitter.
During a Q&A over the weekend, he teased some details and made it more than clear that all is fine with the movie and the summer release will be just fine.
The guys over at Collider were on the ball and composed a list of McQuarries points:
- The ending of the movie did not have to be rewritten or reshot, it had to be prepped. That’s what they’re filming right now.
– The subtitle and trailer are coming soon.
– Ghost Protocol star Paula Patton and Mission: Impossible 3 star Maggie Q were unavailable to return.
– Composer Joe Kraemer (Jack Reacher) is “playing with something retro, of course” for the score.
– When asked if we’d get another great McQuarrie shootout, he responded “Kind of. Trust me.”
– Those expecting the film to be old school “won’t be disappointed.”
– Nods to the original “abound.”
– Sean Harris is indeed playing the film’s villain.
– We will see more ofJeremy Renner’s Agent Brandt, Ving Rhames has more screentime than he did in Ghost Protocol, andSimon Pegg’s Benji “gets his hands plenty dirty.”
– The film will have the feel of an episode of the old show.
– We’ll know from the trailer what McQuarrie wanted to do in this story that hadn’t been done in other M:I stories.
– There will be some score-less action scenes as in Jack Reacher and McQuarrie’s first film, The Way of the Gun.
– There are specific Brian De Palma references.
– McQuarrie broke his personal record for footage shot.
The possibility of the ending needing redone hadn’t really worried us too much… but we’re excited to see the trailer and get a taste of what we’re in store for…
M:I 5 lands on July 31st