Mad Max: Fury Road director George Miller has said that you can expect two more films in the franchise, but they may be a long time coming.
Miller has said that the process of bringing Fury Road to the screen was so arduous that he will require some time away from the blood and thunder special effects-driven movies in order to make something a little more low-key before, (which we reported late last week).
“This film [Fury Road] was green lit three times and fell over three times over a decade,” Miller said. “We went to shoot with Mel Gibson back in 2001, but then 9/11 happened, and the American dollar collapsed against the Australian dollar close to 30 per cent, so we lost that amount of budget overnight.”
“We were then rained out of Australia. The desert rained for the first time in 15 years, and we ended up in South West Africa, Namibia. But in this process, we had dug down deep into the backstory, not only of the characters, but of every vehicle. How the steering wheels became religious artefacts and things like that.
“So we ended up with two scripts, without really trying,” he added. “We’re talking to the studio [Warner Bros] about it as we speak, but which one of the two stories will happen next, I’m not so sure.”
Miller said, however, that before he makes the next Mad Max installment, he needs something a little less… frenetic: “I want to do a small film without special effects before I do any of that, just to do it quickly.”
“We shot Fury Road for eight months… that’s a lot. Every day in the heat and the dust, doing these stunts, it’s very wearing. We’ve got two more planned, but at some point in the future.”
So there you have it. If you like two-hour long, supremely loud car chases with all of the explosions and all of the shouting wrapped up into something that looks like a movie, then you’re in luck. Just don’t be holding your breath for the next film to arrive…
— Birth.Movies.Death. (@bmoviesd) October 5, 2015