With the sudden announcement of Harold Ramis’ untimely death earlier in the week, ghostheads across the globe assumed that it meant the end of any potential of seeing a third Ghostbusters movie.
However THR are reporting that plans for the third film are still going ahead, according to them Ramis’ death on February 24 has has left Sony scrambling to keep Ghostbusters III on track since the actor and writer, who died at age 69 due to complications from autoimmune inflammatory vasculitis, was to have made a cameo appearance in the film.
The sequel’s director Ivan Reitman is scheduled to meet with Sony production brass in the coming days to assess how to move forward on the project that is in active development.
Ramis, who starred as Dr Egon Spengler in the 1984 original and 1989 sequel alongside Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd, was poised to appear in a third outing in a cameo role — like Murray and Aykroyd — that set up a baton-passing to a trio of newcomers.
The script, written by “The Office” writers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, will now need to be revamped. “There will be some repercussions,” says a project insider.
A studio source downplayed the impact on the project, however, insisting that Ramis was involved in Ghostbusters III only minimally.
“He was always great to bounce something off of, and that will certainly be missed,” the source says of Ramis. “But it won’t affect the script.”
Even before Ramis’ death, the script had not progressed enough for the film to begin shooting in 2014.