New X-Files comic coming as creator Chris Carter talks Mulder and Scully return onscreen

August 23rd, 2026 by Marc Comments

More X-Files news, you say? Well, ok then.

So, as we know, Sinners and Black Panther’s Ryan Coogler has filmed a new pilot X-Files spin-off starring Himesh Patel and Danielle Deadwyler and so far there’s been rumours that David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson will return as Mulder and Scully, with Anderson herself saying several times she’s aware of the show and would like to return but now original sow creator Chris Carter seems to have confirmed the duo will return and that he still might have some lore to add to the X-Files himself.

So far, everything seems to be pointing to this new series being a continuation of the original show, rather than a reboot and now, in a new interview, Carter sheds some light on the situation, although he insists he’s in the dar as much as we are: “Gillian, I think, is going to appear in the Coogler version. And I’m assuming David will too, so you will see Mulder and Scully there,” he said.


Tidbit:

Dynamite Entertainment is preparing to launch an all-new X-Files comic series this winter.

The new series, written by Joe Harris, who penned the X-Files seasons 10 and 11 books for IDW Publishing, is returning to the new book and this time, unlike his IDW books, it’s set during the events of the original series, so expect to see stories that are interwoven with classic episodes.

“The X-Files has always been sacred to me,” Harris said, “From my own early TV fandom on Friday and Sunday nights to getting to work on one of the greatest supernatural thriller/science fiction franchises in history, the further adventures of Agents Mulder and Scully have occupied a very special place in my head and career. I am beyond honored to write them and I am absolutely over the moon to work with Dynamite on this new series.”

The new book is illustrated by Riley Brown (Dead Acre: Black Badge).

Check out the first look at the new series below (click to embiggen):


As for the new series being a continuation or reboot, he says he’s waiting to find out too: “I don’t know. When I see it, I’ll know, and so will the Fox executives. They’ll have a sense if these things are going to be in competition or if they are going to be complementary.”

In a recent interview, Carter revealed that he believes he still has some story left to tell with Mulder and Scully, and hopes to tell it still: “I think I didn’t give the audience what they expected. And that is left to come. There are four episodes and the last two reboots that were all part of a bigger plan that I hope to reveal to X-Files fans if and when we should do another reboot,”

Now, he adds to that, saying: “My ideas going forward are big ideas. Whether they’re a TV series or a movie, I don’t know, but I have big plans.”


X-Files creator Chris Carter wants to do another series with Mulder and Scully


Presumably, this is why he says he’s waiting to find out if Coogler’s series will be “in competition or […] be complementary”.

He continues, saying about his plans for the rest of Mulder and Scully’s story: “I’ve got the perfect story for another movie. It could be that they just want to do another series, and I don’t want to get in the way of Ryan Coogler and his vision. I’m completely respectful of him and what he’s doing, and I can’t wait to see it. I’ve actually made a point of not reading the script because I want to watch it like everyone else. But I do have another story that I’d like to tell with Mulder and Scully.”

To me, all of this and the massive new interest in The X-Files suggests that Carter has spoken to the higher-ups about continuing or maybe ending Mulder and Scully’s story; indeed, it really seems like the performance of Coogler’s series will determine if we will see Carter’s ideas come to fruition. Just think, we could be on the edge of a time where there are two X-Files shows on our screens at the same time. Now, that could be something special.


New details on Ryan Coogler’s X-Files pilot… could we be seeing a theatrical release?


Source: Polygon & IGN

Marc is a self-confessed nerd. Ever since seeing Star Wars for the first time around 1979 he’s been an unapologetic fan of the Wars and still believes, with Clone Wars and now Underworld, we are yet to see the best Star Wars. He’s a dad of two who now doesn’t have the time (or money) to collect the amount of toys, comics, movies and books he once did, much to the relief of his long-suffering wife. In the real world he’s a graphic designer. He started Following the Nerd because he was tired of searching a million sites every day for all the best news that he loves and decided to create one place where you can go to get the whole lot. Secretly he longs to be sitting in the cockpit of his YT-1300 Corellian Transport ship with his co-pilot Chewie, roaming the universe, waiting for his next big adventure, but feels just at home watching cartoons with his kids….