Here’s a Top Ten of Online Games – “a” rather than “the”, as no two lists are ever going to be the same, due to the huge quantity of games available now. Some of these are huge, some less well known; all of them are fun. Rule 1 if you’re playing at work: Don’t Get Caught.
1. Let’s start with a serious one. Grepolis (pictured) is a strategy game in which millions of players from all over the world find themselves in Ancient Greece. Build armies and cities, and appease the gods to succeed.
2. Motocross Dirt Challenge is more or less the opposite of Grepolis. A simple set of controls belies the excitement to be had as you speed round the snag-filled tracks. Players can upgrade their bikes in this addictive game.
3. The very funny and sometimes quite disgusting Happy Wheels continues to delight online gamers. Whether you play as “Irresponsible Dad” or “Moped Couple”, you’ll never get through all the user-created levels of this physics-based gorefest.
4. Airmech is another browser-based strategy game, this time concentrating on the wars of the future. Fight on the ground or in the skies against any number of online opponents.
5. Virtual Horse Racing is now offered by many of the main online betting sites. If you’re a fan of the real nags, but frustrated when race day is over, this realistic, 3D form of racing could be just what you’re looking for.
6. Cultures Online is a very attractively designed, Viking-based strategy game, available to play in your browser. Build up a tribe or work alone to expand your village.
7. Online casino games are massive as always. The choice is huge, whether you want slots, poker or blackjack. A good example of the genre can be found at the roulette table at Royal Vegas Casino.
8. The popularity of the Plough-Em-Up agriculture simulator is as strong as ever. Farmerama players can use real or virtual money to upgrade their farms, while fanatics can play the non-virtual board game version.
9. Somewhat more surreal is the very popular Angry Gran Toss, in which players attempt to fire an old lady from a cannon in order to enable her escape from a secure facility. Jetpacks are available, naturally.
10. We can’t wrap up without mentioning Cheese Hunt 2. If I tell you that the main character is a mouse, you should be able to imagine the general idea of the game. It’s simple, addictive and not as cheesy as you might think.
Provided by Sarah Fielding