nerd radio

Tune in live Thursday from 9pm est

Dan Aykroyd says Paul Feig made big mistakes on Ghostbusters and has killed the franchise

June 4th, 2017 by Marc Comments

While he has defended the Ghostbusters 2016 reboot/remake more than anyone in the past, creator and star of the original two Ghostbusters movies, Dan Aykroyd, has finally opened up about the failure of Paul Feig’s take on one of the world’s most beloved franchises.

Appearing on Sunday Brunch on Channel 4 earlier today (video below), the actor who was also a producer on the new movie, was asked about his feelings on it and how it performed and was received by fans.

And he seems to believe that the problems all lie at the feet of co-writer/director Paul Feig even going so far as to say: “he will not be back on the Sony lot anytime soon.”

“The director [Paul Feig], he spent too much on it and he didn’t shoot scenes we suggested to him. Several scenes that were going to be needed, he said, ‘No, we don’t need them.’ And then we tested the movie and they needed them, and he had to go back — about $30 to $40 million in reshoots,” Aykroyd said.

While Aykroyd does confirm he likes the movie and the cast, he acknowledged that Sony feel the movie was a failure and, for now, it means the Ghostbusters franchise is dead again: “it cost too much, and Sony does not like to lose money. It made a lot of money around the world, but it just cost too much, making it economically not feasible to do another one.”

Does this mean we’ll not see the new Ghostbusters back or does it mean the whole franchise – including a return to the timeline of the original movies – is dead? Only time will tell, but we at FTN are very sad to think that maybe Paul Feig’s unnecessary reboot of a franchise that was still alive and well has ruined any future instalments.

Sucks, really.

Read our feelings on the Ghostbusters reboot here.

Let us know your thoughts below, @NerdFollowing on Twitter or on Facebook

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

Marc is a self-confessed nerd. Ever since seeing Star Wars for the first time around 1979 he’s been an unapologetic fan of the Wars and still believes, with Clone Wars and now Underworld, we are yet to see the best Star Wars. He’s a dad of two who now doesn’t have the time (or money) to collect the amount of toys, comics, movies and books he once did, much to the relief of his long-suffering wife. In the real world he’s a graphic designer. He started Following the Nerd because he was tired of searching a million sites every day for all the best news that he loves and decided to create one place where you can go to get the whole lot. Secretly he longs to be sitting in the cockpit of his YT-1300 Corellian Transport ship with his co-pilot Chewie, roaming the universe, waiting for his next big adventure, but feels just at home watching cartoons with his kids….

Leave a Reply

Proudly Powered By WordPress